Do you have problems with your roof: water infiltration, little thermal insulation, humidity, or structural instability? Don’t worry; this blog helps you explore the main causes of redoing a roof, the types of roofs, and whom to rely on.
Main causes that lead to redoing the roof
Let’s start with the causes. In fact, depending on the problems your roof presents, you will have to intervene in a more or less invasive way on the roofing.
If you want:
- Reduce consumption; you will have to insulate the roof with insulating materials, obtaining considerable energy and economic savings. In this case, it will be enough to intervene on the most extreme and highest parts of the roof;
- Eliminate water infiltrations; you will need to install good waterproofing to solve the problem and avoid collapses;
- Fix the static structural problems; you will have to call an engineer who will submit a project to the civil engineer, the office that verifies the calculations. In fact, in addition to protecting us from atmospheric agents, the roof must support the loads. Think of any snow, the weight of the roof, and that of the operator who will have to rotate the dish.
Let’s move on to the types of roofs that are made and which ones are right for you:
Roof types: insulated (thermally insulated) and/or ventilated
In brief, you can have the following:
- Uninsulated and unventilated roofs. In this typology, there is no control of heat loss and hygrometric behavior (humidity);
- Ventilated and uninsulated roofs. They control, through a specific functional layer, the hygrometric behavior but do not control heat dispersion;
- Insulated and non-ventilated covers.Through functional layers, there is control regarding heat dispersion, but the thermo-hygrometric behavior is not verified;
- Insulated and ventilated covers. They ensure the control of hygrometric behavior and heat transmission.
Ventilation and insulation can be achieved on both flat and sloping roofs, regardless of the slope. To date, almost all new roofs are insulated and ventilated! Attention, it is not enough to create a ventilated roof for the ventilation of the roof to be activated. You need a good roofer Los Angeles who evaluates everything.
Now that you know what characteristics the roof must have, let’s explore which figures to involve in redoing the roof:
Who to contact to redo the roof
It should be noted that, when redoing the roof, the building intervention will fall under ordinary maintenance if you do not intervene on the structural parts, such as beams or attic. The first thing you should do is ask for advice from a technician, be it an engineer, architect, or surveyor, regarding the condition of the roof and the handling of the paperwork.
Once you have chosen the professional, to avoid and minimize the unexpected, it is advised to have the technician create a bill of quantities and specifications, which will become the “estimate” for the company to sign.